Saturday, April 21, 2012

Living with New Interfaces

After weeks of asking Google mail to revert to the old look, I find I no longer have that option.  Similarly, I'm being forced to write this post using the new blogger interface. 

I suppose I'll be open-minded and try them, since Google is not giving me a choice.  I realize I'm not the only one to complain about that by any means.  Perhaps I'll quickly adjust, and after a few days I'll agree with Google that the new systems are better.

But perhaps not.  I think software builders fail to recognize the level at which people grow accustomed to their tools.  Changing the interface is forcing me to change the way I've worked for multiple years.  If I don't like having to make that change, it's a fine opportunity for me to change the product I use.  As long as I'm being forced to learn something new to get done familiar tasks, maybe it's time I learn something really new. 

Google's done the math and decided this is best for them.  They've figured that most of us will adjust to and even like the changes after a short period of time.  We'll see.  But if anyone's decided this is a good time to jump ship or thinks they have better options, let us all know in the comments.  


No comments:

Post a Comment