Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Grading is No Fun

I'm told my exams are not nearly as much fun as I like to think they are.  (It's a very rare occurrence when someone turns in their exam early at my 3-hour final.)  I can say that this year they weren't much fun to grade. 

The issue was the large class size -- the final number was 110 (about twice the size of last year).  You'd think with more TAs it might not take too much longer to grade... but apparently there are non-linearities in there somewhere.  Anyhow, grading took about 6 hours today.  For any students who happen to be reading, I figure they'd appreciate knowing that, at least temporally speaking, I had to suffer about twice as long as they did. 

For faculty types out there, I'm curious... how much grading do you do?  For my undergrad class, I help grade the midterm and final, and take on grading the first programming assignment myself (1 of 8 class assignments).  Is this a lot, a little, more or less normal?  Comments welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment